Thursday, April 16, 2009

Home Affordable Modification Program

Many find it hard to believe, but before I was a librarian I worked in the mortgage business. Therefore, I have been following the housing crisis with some interest and have heard references to the President's plan to help homeowners facing foreclosure. However, references were all that I heard- I kept seeing "the program" mentioned on television and online, but no one gave details or even called it by its official name. I thought "I would find this pretty frustrating if I were one of the people this program was meant for," so I decided to do some Googling and see what I could pull together in terms of details.

For the basics, I found the original Treasury Department press release:
Home Affordable Modification Program Guidelines,
March 4, 2009


To find out if you are eligible, go here:
makinghomeaffordable.gov

For context I also read some articles in national newspapers, like The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times

And, finally and sadly, I learned that scammers are already coming out of the woodwork: information about that can be found here, and local scam reporting resources can be found here. I hope this helps!

No comments: